A very happy new year to you all! If you’re a typical organist, you’re heaving a bit of a sigh of relief at this point, having a mountain of extra rehearsals and services for another Advent/Christmas season behind you. Welcome, “Ordinary Time”, in more ways than one!
Many of us had much fun this past Friday evening at the fourth annual Epiphany party (scroll down to see Sharon Peterson’s review of the event). Part of the evening was a trivia game, created by Bob Woodworth, with 40 questions about the history of our chapter – part of our commitment to have every program this season reflect some aspect of our history together. I’ve listed the questions below, and then the answers separately below the questions, so that you can take the quiz for yourselves. Although we didn’t keep score, I think we’d all agree that Morgan Simmons got the only A+ for the evening with his many correct responses!
Andrea Handley, Dean
North Shore AGO History Questions
Epiphany Party – January 5, 2018
- The North Shore AGO Chapter organizational meeting was chaired by ________.
- _________was elected Dean of the Chapter at the first meeting.
- St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church in Evanston was served for a long time with a Hammond B-3, or a Hammond Grand 100 or an Austin Organ.
- _________served St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church in Evanston for over 30 years.
- _________served two non-consecutive terms as Dean of the Chapter.
- What husband and wife both served terms as Dean of the Chapter?
- _________played the dedication recital at the First United Methodist Church in Glenview on the ____________Organ.
- What other husband/wife teams were also organists?
- What four famous organists played recitals in the first year of the Chapter?
10._________was the Chapter’s first Regional Convention of the AGO.
11._________was the long-time Editor of The Diapason Magazine.
12._________initiates the Chapter newsletter Overtones.
- In 1972 Han Wurman demonstrates the _________for the Chapter.
- What four international organ artists played for the Chapter more than once?
- Emmanuel Methodist Church in Evanston is home to the 1892 ___________.
- _________was a long-time organ professor at Northwestern University and also Organist at Trinity Episcopal Church in Highland Park.
- Speaking of Trinity Episcopal Church, the Aeolian-Skinner Organ installed there had a __________console.
- What famous organist from St. Eustache in Paris played a recital for the Chapter in 1975?
- What newly appointed organist at Notre-Dame in Paris played a recital for the Chapter in 2016?
- Who was organist at Fourth Presbyterian Church in Chicago, then at First Presbyterian Church in Evanston and finally at First Presbyterian Church in Lake Forest?
- What English college choir performed for the Chapter?
- the Chapter helped to sponsor the Romantic Organ Symposium in __________.
- What Dean of the Chapter was the long-time musician at Northfield Community Church?
- What concert organists from England presented recitals for the Chapter?
- _________was long-time organist at First Baptist Church of Evanston – now the Lake Street Church – following William Barnes.
- How many Deans of the Chapter are still alive?
- Karel Paukert presented at least _________programs for the Chapter.
- Many of the North Shore Chapter AGO programs were held at Alice Millar Chapel at Northwestern University. Who was Alice Millar?
- Vail Chapel houses a Casavant Organ that was formerly at _________ that was formerly at _________.
- Karel Paukert was originally from _________.
- _________ and __________are the only Dutch organists to have presented programs for the Chapter.
- _________is the only Belgian organist to have presented a recital for the Chapter.
- _________is the only Italian organist to have presented a recital for the Chapter.
- The 1938 _________Organ is located at the former First Church of Christ, Scientist in Winnetka – now called Grace Church.
- Glenview Community Church installed a _________Organ in 1999.
- The First Presbyterian Church of Evanston 1958 Aeolian-Skinner Organ contains pipes/ranks from previous organs _________ and _________.
- The Winnetka Congregational Church is home to the 2008 __________Organ.
- The Music Institute of Chicago (formerly the First Church of Christ, Scientist) in Evanston is home to the 1914 _________Organ.
- The Chapter hosts its second AGO Regional Convention in __________.
- ________, a member of the North Shore AGO Chapter was National President of the AGO in 1994.
Epiphany Party – January 5, 2018 Answers
- Margaret Budd
- Thomas Matthews
- Hammond Grand 100
- Porter Heaps
- Morgan Simmons
- Morgan Simmons and Mary Simmons
- Grigg Fountain – Holtkamp Organ
- Enright’s – Fountain’s
- Fred Swann – Virgil Fox – E. Power Biggs – Austin Lovelace
- Frank Cunkle
- Leora DeFord
- Mood synthesizer
- Flor Peeters – Marie-Madeleine Durufle – Marie-Claire Alain – Gillian Weir
- Roosevelt Organ
- George McClay
- Andre Marchal
- Vincent Dubois
- Richard Enright
- St. John’s College, Cambridge
- George Williams
- Simon Preston, Gillian Weir, John Scott
- Jack Goode
- Mr. and Mrs. Foster G. McGaw gave money for the construction of Alice Millar Chapel in honor of his mother Alice S. Millar McGaw.
- Seabury-Western Seminary Chapel – Lutheran Church in Rockford
- Piet Kee and Gustave Leonhardt
- Flor Peeters
- Mario Duella
- W. W. Kimball
- Johnson & Son – Votteler-Holtkamp-Sparling
- E. M. Skinner
- Margaret McElwain Kemper